Thursday, March 13, 2014

Mother-Daughter Time

I try to be intentional about being a mommy, not just a homeschool teacher. A mommy, not just someone who cooks the meals, cleans the house, and does the laundry. A mommy.

So, Cherish and I have our special "girl" time together as often as we are able. Derek and I try to get the little ones to bed between 7:00 - 7:15 p.m., and then Cherish and I spend some time together. It looks a bit like this:


After lighting the candles, I turn out the lights in the kitchen, and we share tea and a snack together. We focus only on each other. We talk about anything and everything. We spend time laughing and chatting.

After our tea and snack, we snuggle together to read a chapter of our novel. We are reading through the Laura Ingalls Wilder novels, and we are on the seventh book. We both enjoy the books, and it gives us another common bond. It's fun to end the day with Cherish by snuggling with her. I know there are not many years left before she's on to other things. So, I am treasuring this time.

Cherish is a special sweetheart, and I want her to know it!


As a side note, here's a quote I came across a while back that has helped me see the importance of being intentional:
"Listen earnestly to anything your children want to tell you, no matter what. If you don't listen eagerly to the little stuff when they are little, they won't tell you the big stuff when they are big, because to them, all of it has always been big stuff." Catherine M. Wallace

No comments: