Friday, March 6, 2015

VPK Bike Day

At 2:00 a.m. Wednesday, Andrew's asthma began acting up. I debated over and over again whether to allow him to attend school. I decided to let him go, knowing he would have his treatment at school, and I'd be at the school to spend time with him (and watch over him).

Here he is getting ready for his special bike day. I had treated him for his asthma right before this picture.
 And, he was off. He always loves to go fast!
Andrew + fast = happy boy.
 But, once around the loop, and he slowed down.
I became concerned, but he wasn't showing signs of distress.
 He decided just to go slowly and hang out with his best friend.
I thought all was well.
 But, he decided way too soon that he was finished. Not his norm!
Yet, he wasn't wheezing or coughing,
 so I thought he was just tired from being up in the night.
However, I should have known by the look in those eyes!
 He let his sister decorate his bike...
 since she was the decorating helper.
 Hope asked Andrew if he wanted to draw with chalk,
and he consented.
I wasn't sure if it was just because he was being kind,
since his favorite thing is to ride his bike--FAST!
As I was driving him home just a short time later,
he went into a horrible asthmatic attack.
I ran him into the house and got him on his machine.
At the end of the treatment, he felt warm.
I hurried to get medicine in him (fearing a seizure).
His temperature climbed to 103.5° F
before the medicine kicked in.
I should have known something was up.
I hate when I don't listen to my instincts!

Andrew is so quiet,
so gentle,
and never complains about sickness or pain.
Thus, it's so hard to read the little guy!

No comments: