Monday, October 1, 2012

Cherish and Andrew Grow Up

Cherish has been wanting to learn to ride her bike without training wheels all summer. For various reasons, it took us until last week to get it done.
 
So, off came her training wheels and off we went to the closest park--so she could have lots of space to ride without cars driving into or backing out of their driveways.
 
Big boy felt the freedom too!

"Cherish, this is how you balance."
"Actually, let me show you."

"Good! No one's watching me!"
 Derek holding her up by the bike's seat.
She is obviously completely dependent upon him.
"Hee, hee, hee. I'm free!!"
"Are you watching me?"
 Yep!
 
The "training" wasn't working. I prayed for God to give us wisdom. Immediately He did!
 
I remembered my precious niece Carolyn who taught herself to ride a bike by riding on the grass.
 
Brilliant! We wouldn't need to worry about Cherish getting hurt on the pavement, and Cherish would be free to ride without depending on us.
 
"Derek, take the camera and give me Cherish! I have an idea...."
 
Seconds later: 
 
 
 
After this, she kept going and going! One mom came to ask me if this was our daughter's first day without training wheels. (She probably figured so because of how crazy excited I was!) I told the lady it was indeed Cherish's first day! The lady said she had been trying to teach her son (about 7 years old) how to ride without training wheels for over a year. I told her about my niece's idea and told her that without fear of being injured from falling, Cherish literally took off! The lady told me she's going to try the idea. Thanks, Carolyn!!
 
We are so proud of Cherish
Each time she fell, she got right back up and tried again!
Now to practice starting and stopping....
 
 
Also, while we were in Pennsylvania and staying at various hotels, Andrew learned how to crawl out of his porta-cribs. So, in order not to take any chances of him crawling out of his crib at home and falling a long distance to the floor, I dismantled his crib and set up this bed for him.
 
The first nap he had, he cried from insecurity. I stayed with him singing to him the Bible verse: "When I am afraid I will trust in You." He soon calmed down and fell asleep.
 
Here he is waking up from his nap:

 "Mommy, I'm just so proud of him!"
 "Me, too, Cherish! Me, too!"
 
That night, he went to bed on his own without any hesitation or insecurity. Derek and I were completely surprised! He turned on his own noise maker and night light (push button), and then climbed into his twin bed using his step stool. He turned over and put himself right to sleep!

The next day, he begged to be allowed to sit in the big chairs at the table. So, I hooked up a booster seat and put away his highchair. Now he sits up to the table with us.
 
He's a big boy!
It seems he grew up overnight!
 
The crib and highchair have been packed away--waiting for Hope to come home.
 
Daddy and I are so proud of our children!
What a blessing they are!
And, how fun it is to watch them graduate to the next stages in life!

1 comment:

jennifer Alvarado said...

YAY!!! for Cherish and Andrew!!!!! They are growing up soooo fast!!!Love you all.