Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fly Lady

Well, I have been too busy to post, but now I'm back. There will be no catch-up, because there would be too much to catch up on.

So, I'll jump in with Fly Lady. I have been enjoying Fly Lady's Baby Steps. I joined Fly Lady about a month ago, and it has changed my life and family's life tremendously. It's all about little steps that reap huge pay-offs. (I am still on the "baby steps".)

Within the first year of being married, I was driving Derek crazy with how clean I kept our place. It used to upset him that I would clean the kitchen sink of our evening snack dishes before retiring for the night.

One night he made me leave one spoon in the sink telling me that when I woke up the next morning, it would still be there. Drove me crazy! (But, at least it ended up breaking me of my OCD habits--which was good.)

He told me he liked the lived-in feeling in a house. He would say, "Who cares if it is always clean? I certainly don't." It took the pressure off, but it was breeding ground for a habit of laziness.

Well, fast forward eleven years, and now my kitchen sink is staying clean again (instead of just doing the dishes after dinner).
For a month now.
Clean.
Throughout the day.
Empty.
It has transformed the way the entire kitchen is staying clean.
Simple.

Since my kitchen is in the front of our house, it is the first place everyone used to dump their stuff. Now things get put away. Simple things that reap huge rewards.

Derek has commented several times about how nice it feels to have the kitchen remain clean. Also, it has allowed me to show hospitality "on a dime". And, I am baking more often, because my counters are basically empty.

Fly Lady.
A great way to live.
A simple way to live.

A house of peace. Yes!

Disclaimer: This does not mean my house is always spotless. But, it does mean that the bones of my house are clean, and the excess "lived in feeling" can be straightened up in about 20 minutes before entertaining.

Fly Lady. Baby Steps. Baby Steps.

No comments: