Friday, June 24, 2011

Library Reading Program

Our public library puts on a contest every summer to keep the children practicing their reading (or listening) skills. Last year we logged "hours" spent reading (or listening) to books. This summer, our library has asked each child to log the number of books read (or listened to) and to choose a goal for the number of books a child can accomplish by the end of the summer. I chose 75 books for Cherish, given that we'll be going on vacation, etc.

Well, the contest began June 1st, and tonight we accomplished Cherish's personal goal. 75 books. That girl LOVES books. I mean, that girl LOVES books!

Since today she has been lying down most of the day with a fever, she requested lots of books, and so, I snuggled up next to her and read. Um, like 23 books today alone!

Each week the library gives out rewards for any amount of reading that was done the previous week, and at the end of reaching one's personal goal, the child gets to pick out a new book to keep.

Tonight Cherish has been squealing with excitement over the fact that she gets to "get a book from the library that [she] doesn't have to give back!" Cute!

So, on Monday, we'll turn in her reading log in exchange for her prizes (one for reading this week and one for accomplishing her goal). Secretly, I'm excited for her, too.

I've often wondered why Cherish loves "reading" books so much. My guess has been that she is head-over-heels in love with snuggling, and reading books together brings about her favorite pastime. (Which I'm OK with, given that snuggling is my favorite pastime, too!)

Well, I guessed right, because tonight before Cherish went to bed, I told her that I noticed she was feeling better and I was so happy. Her countenance fell, and she looked very sad. I asked why she was so sad, and she said, "I liked being sick, because I loved snuggling with you all day." Such sweetness!

No comments: