Friday, January 27, 2012

Changes. Transitions.

So much has occurred in the last two weeks. So, I will give a brief overview.

Some relatives came to visit for several days, and they brought a dog. Andrew is terrified of dogs.

Did I mention terrified?
Yep?
Just checkin’.

To make a long story short, Andrew had way too many encounters with the dog. Compile that with the fact that I had thrown out my back while they were here, and even with my back brace on I was barely able to lift Andrew. Thus, I could not be his constant rescuer.

Skip to the third day they were here in town, and Andrew began to have nightmares and night terrors. It was so bad that he was up screaming at least 15 times that night alone. By the middle of the night I had moved into the bed that is in his room so that I could get to him quickly. It. was. bad!

The next day I kept Andrew at home alone with me. My goal was to wrap him in the security he so desperately needed. As the days passed, the nightmares and night terrors ended. Once again, he began sleeping through the night--13 hours of undisturbed rest. It was wonderful.

Well, that is, until our social worker and her trainee came to make a visit this past Sunday. They stayed for about two hours, leaving about an hour and a half before Andrew went to bed for the night. Once again, the night terrors enveloped him.

The poor little guy! I wonder if, when he sees other people in our house, he thinks he will be taken away from us. I wonder if the abandonment issues resurface through the avenue of nightmares and night terrors.

This past Wednesday evening I tried to sneak out of the house to take Cherish to Pioneer Clubs at our church. I left just before 7 p.m. when Andrew was being put down to bed (so he wouldn’t see me leave and have a hard time). Unfortunately, in getting him ready for bed and trying to keep his routine the same, I forgot my purse when I left the house. Thus, I came back in the house, and he saw me. He saw me leave for the evening, too.

The nightmares and night terrors started up again.

It hurts my heart so much to know he is suffering psychologically. However, I know Someone Who is able and capable of healing Andrew’s little broken heart!

To switch gears (but to add to the changes and transitions), Cherish began preschool this week. She had wanted to attend school, but with her constant belly pain and our trip to China, we needed to wait for enrollment. We had told Cherish that she could attend school once her belly pain became controlled, once we returned home from China (due to missing too many days for the VPK program), and if the school had any openings.

While we were in China, Cherish’s abdomen pain practically disappeared! She only had two belly aches the whole trip! It was amazing!

Then, after we got home from China, and Cherish had worked through her jetlag and illnesses (pink eye, etc.), we called the school to see if there were any openings. There were none.

Several days later we received a call and found out a seat became available in the VPK program, but only in the M-F, 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. time slot. We gladly accepted the spot.

So, Cherish began VPK on Monday, January 23, at our church’s preschool. A little late, but definitely better late than never.

Cherish's First Day of VPK:

She loves her precious teachers and wakes up (on her own) 2 hours early each day to get ready for school. She even reminds us she needs to go to bed early, because she's a "school girl" now. J

The downside of the schedule is that the morning hours were Cherish and Andrew’s concentrated playtime together, but now they are not together. Also, as soon as Cherish gets home from school, Andrew hits the bed for a much-needed nap. Thus, it means more time away from each other.

We’ve noticed sadness and anxiety in both of the kiddos. These siblings love each other!

So, we are all trying to find a routine where everyone is together in the late afternoons and early evenings for bonding to continue.

Since I have Andrew alone in the mornings, I’ve made it my practice to study him. I have found that if I simply lie on the ground (like the doll Layla), I receive the same treatment Layla used to receive. Strangely enough, over the past four days, Andrew has lost most of his interest in Layla. Now, he is seeking love and hugs and cuddle time from me.

And when Andrew is handing out sweet love, there. is. no. hurry. He gives lingering hugs and multiple kisses. He seems to bask in the love. It. is. PRECIOUS! I am filled up to overflowing by all the love he gives to me.

And the smiles! Oh, I get lots of those, too! The sometimes practically sleepless nights seem to disappear in the wonderful time we have during the day.

How undeserving I am to have two preciously sweet and tender children. What a blessing from God!

So, this tired momma remains: Blessed Beyond Measure.

1 comment:

Jennifer Alvarado said...

Thanks for the updates. You have so much going on. :)