Friday, August 24, 2012

One of "those" moms!

OK. I admit it. I have become one of "those" moms. What am I referring to? I am now a home-school mom.

It seems that some people have a very negative opinion of moms who keep their children home and educate them. Actually, I have looked up to moms who can devote their time to such a calling and help their children to grow into bright, well-rounded youth and adults.

I've always felt called to teach. God put that gift within me. It's part of who I am. But, homeschooling? Nope. I never planned on that.

Through my education classes at college, I realized how much I did not/do not know and totally agreed (and still do) with the policy of continuing education for teachers. It.makes.perfect.sense. Period.

So, when Derek approached me about homeschooling Cherish, I was completely unsure. First of all, what if I "mess her up"? I can't sign up for continuing education classes, be a stay-at-home mom, be a serving wife, homemaker, teacher.... That's too many full-time jobs for me. Secondly, Derek and I have always talked about sending our children to school because of all the reasons we loved school--sports, the arts, music lessons, drama....

However, God has made Cherish so inquisitive. She constantly wants to learn something. There are times she cries from a hurt heart when I tell her she needs to play rather than to read or learn something.

(She learned how to add and subtract while she was just three years old. It was quite by accident--while Derek and I were at Lowe's looking at items for a remodeling job.)

This past summer, I made a point that Cherish would play--and play A LOT. We scheduled all kinds of play times and play dates for her. Which, I will say, she enjoyed.

I didn't let her pull out anything that resembled learning material. The most I agreed to was to read to her.

I began logging the books she asked me to read to her. In a two-month period of time, she had Derek or me read her 178 books. And one of those books was a novel! (This amount would have been higher if Derek and I had agreed to read to her every time she asked.)

If you can't tell: Cherish loves books!

So, Derek told me he wanted me to have a local university test Cherish before kindergarten. Thus, she was evaluated, and she was reading! READING! I didn't even know she could! Yes, read a few simple words but not read books! She was continually asking us to read to her, so we didn't think to ask her to try to read to us.

She read for the evaluator. Perfectly. Independently. I.was.shocked! Shocked I tell ya!

The evaluator consulted with me. Traditional kindergarten was out of the question. She thought homeschooling would be the best option for Cherish.

Derek and I are not one of those parents who want to push our children to advance as quickly as possible. So, we didn't want to put her into traditional school and bump her up grade-wise. So, we have decided to home school her. She is in kindergarten, and that is all she knows. However, the curriculum we are using is for first graders, and we've added Chinese and American Sign Language. She will also be in ballet and tap classes come September.

This is so strange for Derek and me. Let me tell ya! Derek and I were both in "special reading classes" in elementary school. Neither of us liked books. The world of books didn't open up for me, personally, until sixth grade--when my teacher read Treasures of the Snow to my class. (I can't believe I still remember that title.) All of a sudden, I realized the amazing world of books.

So, here we are taking one day at a time. Here's the teacher side of me (lesson planning):

However, Cherish can't seem to get enough of school. An 8:30 a.m. - 2:45 p.m. school day just doesn't seem like enough. She begs for more. She begs to do the next day's work--so she can always be ahead.

I admit again. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to "burn her out". She's so thirsty for knowledge, and I am trying to make the learning fun--with games, experiments, etc. However, I know too much learning could "burn her out" for the future. I know an education is a marathon. Not a sprint.

So, Derek and I continue to consult one another. I know we are just beginning. (We just finished week two of kindergarten.) I want her to remember learning as fun and exciting, not hard, torturous, or boring.

One day at a time. We are finding our way.

So, what does the future hold? I.do.not.know. All I know is that I am homeschooling Cherish for kindergarten. I guess we'll figure out first grade later. Again, one day at a time....

I am so thankful for the home-school moms who have come alongside me to give me advice. Thank you, Michele, Denise, Donna, Kristi, Barbara, Stephanie, and Irma! Thanks for "blazing the trail"!

P.S. I think I'm gonna need a maid! Just sayin'!

2 comments:

Louise said...

Julie, I couldn't think of a better teacher than her Mom! You are awesome!!!
You are such an inspiration too.
:)
xox

Penny said...

She won't burn out! But she'll be frustrated if her hunger to learn is not met. You might find www.hoagiesgifted.org a useful resource.....