Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Congee vs. Oatmeal

Sammy loves congee.
Loves congee.
Every morning for breakfast in China, Sammy ate congee. Plain congee. Chicken congee. Sweet potato congee. Pumpkin congee. Congee. It didn't matter what kind. Just congee, congee, congee. And lots of congee please. One bowl + a second bowl + a third bowl, please!

Well, I haven't made congee and my children love oatmeal. So today we had a test. I made oatmeal for breakfast, and introduced it to Sammy.

Sammy liked it! Sammy smiled. and giggled, and smiled. and laughed, and smiled, and banged his hands on the high chair tray to say "hurry!" and "more!"

I had never seen Sammy enjoy breakfast so much! It was such a joy to see his smiles and hear his laughter over something so very simple.

In the past, he never showed any type of expression during any meal. There must be something special about oatmeal! ;-)

I'd say: He's gonna fit right in as a Bollinger!


Side note: Since Sammy is on medication right now that requires he be dairy-free, I made his oatmeal without milk. It was simply oatmeal, mashed banana, and cinnamon. Super simple.

1 comment:

The Redhead said...

There is something about oatmeal made by mommy, isn't there?! I know I can totally remember oatmeal and toast that we had sometimes for dinner, especially during winter. It was love in a bowl. Somehow I can't quite replicate it on my own ;) I'm glad he enjoyed it so!