Thursday, September 17, 2015

Transition time

Wowvers! This jet-lag is killing me!

We returned home last Friday night, and still, there is at least one person up at all times in this house. And, if that one person is a child, I feel the need to be awake for the child's safety.

This week Derek began his new position working second-shift, but his third-shift relief does not always show up. So, Derek unexpectedly ends up working a double-shift, coming home at 7:30 a.m.

When he leaves the house at 2:15 p.m. (to do it all again), I put Daniel down for a nap, and I lie down on the couch to sleep. Each day at around 2:15 p.m., my body feels like it's 2:15 a.m., and I can't stay awake. Thankfully, we are off school for the week, and Cherish is a great big-sister-babysitter!!!!!! (Hallelujah for Cherish!!!!!)

When I really cannot lie on the couch any longer--because Daniel is crying to get up, I drag myself off the couch. Thus, the evening begins: supper, clean-up, baths, etc.

Sometimes I feel I just won't make it. And then I remind myself that:

1. It's temporary! Everyone will eventually sleep through the night.
2. Be patient with your children as you want them to be patient with you. They are living on fumes at times, too.
3. If you've spent time with your family, made food, cleaned it up, done the laundry, kept the children safe, clean, and dry, it's.good.enough! Your relatives and friends should understand that the house and lawn are just not priority right now.

And, as I'm trying to give myself a pep talk and praying for help, a blessing comes my way.

Starting two nights ago, I was on the ground playing with Daniel in the middle of the night. We were the only two awake. Daniel leaned toward me, and then brushed his face against mine. He paused for a moment and then got closer. He brushed his face against mine again. Several times. It was SO SWEET!

Since then, he has been putting his hands up for me to pick him up. I lift him up, and he puts his ear to my mouth, and then gently brushed his entire face across my lips. From ear to ear and then back again. He goes even slower when his lips brush across mine.

It feels like time stands still. I look down at him as he is slowly brushing his face across my face, and I wonder at the miracle that has occurred. Three weeks ago, this child didn't even know me. Then, he rejected me. Then, on the airplane ride home, I'd walk him and try to soothe the pain in his ears by blowing hot air into his ears. I could tell he loved it, but I had no idea how it would help bond us together.

Now, he wants me! He comes to me! He pauses all activity to be near me! His eyes close as he soaks in the smoothness of skin to skin facial contact.

And all is right with the world again. And I can move on to the next task--with my heart full of love and my mind full of wonder.

1 comment:

Jennifer A said...

Awe, thats so awesome how he needs to feel you.😉