Tuesday, January 9, 2018

More adoption day updates

Last night was special for our family. The children's Chinese language teacher came over to teach me how to make Korean noodle soup--which my children loved! (And, actually, ended up bathing the boys, since my disks slipped again yesterday. Thank you, Shinhea!)

While she was here, Derek called through on WeChat. Little guy was not doing well.

Shinhea talked with Matthew to see what he wanted. Even though he had already had his normal bottle of formula, he was asking for another one.

Derek was able to make him another bottle to comfort him, and he quickly laid back to rest.


While he was resting, Shinhea explained to him that I was him mama and that I would be with him soon. I think that is why--when I spoke with him late last night--he smiled with acknowledgment and called me mama.

Several hours after the call, Derek called me back to say that Matthew had diarrhea--completely liquid. I suggested Pepto Bismol tablets for children, and Derek had a run to Carrefour for diapers. In addition to the 6 I had given him, we were both surprised to find a package of diapers in the bag the orphanage had given him. Strangely enough, the package of diapers proudly boasted of "Ultra Thin Diapers". Yep. Bad idea for anyone caring for children.


Let's just say, Derek's clothing will also need to be laundered.


Prayers for little guy as he continues to work through his traumas.



Side notes:

Derek gave all the families' orphan donations to the CCAI reps, and the CCAI Charity Team will come and sort through all the donations, distributing them as needed to the orphanages in Henan. THANK YOU!!!

Yesterday, Derek applied for Matthew's passport. 

Matthew is bonded to Derek greatly and cries when Derek is out of sight--or even if Derek stands up at the table at meal times. Matthew must sit in Derek's lap on the bus--not next to Derek. The only time Matthew doesn't cry when Derek is out of sight is when Derek has to use the restroom in the hotel room with the exterior door (to the room) shut. It's Matthew's only place to rest emotionally.

Derek weighed Matthew in the hotel yesterday, and at 3½-years-old, he is about 20 pounds. He is wearing the size 2T clothes I sent along, but the sleeves have to be rolled up.

Matthew cannot say "Andrew", so he calls Andrew "Zan Cheng" (Andrew's middle name).

No comments: