Friday, January 12, 2018

Tangible gifts of love

Today's gift of love from Derek came with a note on which he had written the following quote on:
"My friends, adoption is redemption.
It's costly,
exhausting,
expensive,
and outrageous.
Buying back lives costs so much.
When God set out to redeem us.
it killed Him."
-Derek Loux


Yes! Yes! Yes!
It has been costly, exhausting, expensive, outrageous....
But, God.
He had a plan to show us another side of the beauty of love.

Yesterday, it seemed I could not stop crying. I had so many plans for this time at home with my children, and none of them were being accomplished. I had planned so many activities--so my children wouldn't miss their daddy terribly--and many home improvements so that our family would be ready to welcome a sixth child into our home.

Because, after all, I have found the transition time once home is the hardest time and the most straining part of the adoption. So, I wanted to be ahead of the stress with everything clean, orderly, organized....

Then, several disks slipped in my lower back right at the beginning of our time apart, and the recovery time has taken so much longer than I can have ever imagined. What terrible timing!

Until my friend pointed out that perhaps it was actually the perfect timing.

Because, after all, God IS sovereign!
He knew that I would throw my back out, and that it would refuse to heal.

So, I began to rejoice.

"Lord, what are you trying to teach me?
Humility?
Then, I'm ready to learn and put it into practice."

"Lord, here's my mess, and there's nothing I can do about it. Please help."

So, acquaintances came to my door, and as I showed them the trouble I was having (compounded messes that I could not clean--since I could not lift, bend, sit, push, drive...), they chipped in with the minutes they had.

And, just like that, acquaintances turned to friends.
And, my house got cleaned.
And, my children had play time.
And, my heart was ministered to.
And, my daughter Cherish
--who had been doing most of the work--
got to be a kid again, and take a break.

And, I was hugged and encouraged and uplifted....

And, the prayers of many were answered.

Thank You, Lord!

Thank you, family and friends!

Thank you!!


As I am writing this, Derek and my boys are flying to Guangzhou. They will take the next steps needed to apply for a visa for Matthew.

Before he left Zhengzhou, he sent me these pictures:

Andrew in front of a very cool laundry mat where daddy cleaned everyone's clothes:

Matthew's paperwork was all in order and the passport arrived in time for the flight:

And most importantly, my family:
The boys with the BEST daddy ever!


Derek and I feel completely held up and prayed over during this time of separation. Thank you ALL for each and every gift of prayer, car ride, play date, text of encouragement, time cleaning, phone call.... Thank you for the tangible love that has encircled our hearts. God bless you all!

No comments: