Sunday, January 7, 2018

Updates

Daniel did really well through the night. THANK YOU for the prayers! I slept with Daniel last night so that he would not end up in my bedroom and see daddy missing from the bed.

Daniel's normal routine is to wake up at night, go to daddy’s room, climb into daddy’s bed, and sleep on daddy’s chest. Talk about bonded!

So, somewhere between 15-20 times last night, Daniel woke up and tried to climb over me to go to my bedroom. However, I was able to hold onto him, put my hand on his face, and snuggle him—not his normal! He usually refuses anyone but daddy at night! I knew Daniel was being bathed in prayers!

Each time he woke up, he let me snuggle him back to sleep. Therefore, there were no hour-long screaming sessions in the night. I am so thankful!!!!!!!!!!

Julie (I) woke up feeling so much better!!! I had separated three lower vertebrae in my early 20’s, and every once in a while, the disks will slip. I have never had such a quick recovery, though!! Thank you for praying!!!!

Derek and Andrew made it to Matthew’s province, walked to the bank to exchange money for tomorrow’s meeting, walked back to the hotel to get others in the group who needed to shop, walked to Carrefour for food supplies, and made it back to the hotel exhausted. Though he and Andrew had walked far and were frozen, Derek said that Andrew never complained. (That’s our Andrew! God bless him!) Derek and Andrew got a little food to eat, and Andrew collapsed in bed asleep as soon as they got back to the hotel room.


Derek began getting all the supplies ready for morning when he realized he had left the bathroom bag at the hotel in Beijing. He contacted our amazing guide, George, who will be mailing it to Matthew’s province. In the meantime, Derek is sleeping with his contacts in, hoping they don’t dry out. In the meantime, he hotel has provided them with toothbrushes, toothpaste, and a razor for Derek to use.

Once Derek was finished preparing for tomorrow's adventure, Derek called me over WeChat and talked with his eyes closed. Though he was so exhausted, he still wanted to give me an update. God bless him!

Derek and Andrew leave the hotel at 9:30 a.m. (8:30 p.m. EST Sunday) to go get Matthew. However, all the roads are supposed to freeze overnight, so the children being adopted tomorrow will likely be late.

Matthew is now asleep—for the LAST time in an orphanage! He will wake up very early and get on a train with the orphanage director and nanny to go meet Derek and Andrew. It is very likely Matthew has no idea what the day ahead holds. Even if he was told he is being adopted, there would be no frame of reference for a 3½-year-old to understand what adoption, daddy, mommy, family, or even a house is.

So, Matthew is hours away from another shock and more feelings of abandonment as his nanny hands him over to Derek and walks away.

Thank you for your prayers!!

No comments: